Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chapter 7 ~ Politics


I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with Chapter 7, entitled "Politics." There was so much potential for this chapter, I just didn't feel it lived up to; or perhaps it was simply my expectations/hopes for the chapter. During this reading we definitely received a great deal of information regarding politics, however, I felt this chapter lacked a little on the music side.

I wish more emphasis would have been spent on the impact or influence politics has had on music or vice-versa. As I think through US history and the changes that have occurred in society, I can think of so many songs that take me back to that place in time, where I can vividly recall what was happening in our world. Music holds an important place in politics and history.

I thought Negus made an important point at the beginning of the chapter pointing out that meaning or interpretations of songs need to be put into context with time and place and that they evolve as the world evolves. "Songs are not constant or fixed" (194.) John Lennon's song Imagine was a perfect example of this.

While there was some good information in the middle of the chapter, I found myself losing interest. Rather than going into (GREAT) detail of one example (Nazi Germany), for me, it would be been helpful and more interesting to elaborate on multiple scenarios. A major trend I pulled out of this portion was that of fear from the governments. There was this constant need to control for fear of outside cultures to influence its citizens. What it seemed to come down to was the fight against influence through power and control.

So, what impact does music have on politics or vice-versa? Music can take on the form of storytelling and has an ability to connect different people, places, and ideas. Negus states, "music works at the intersection of the body and emotions, and in doing so can generate 'affective alliances' between people, which in turn can create the energy for social change that may have direct impact on politics and culture." (220)

As I reflect on this quote the events of 9/11 come to mind. Images and music held a place in these events for many Americans. There was a message Americans were sending, and that is "united we stand." While there were many songs written and played that signified the events and feelings during this time there is one that will forever take me back to that place and time.


For me, it is songs such as this, which evoke meaning and emotion in people, that are examples of the interchange between politics and popular music.

No comments:

Post a Comment